A recent survey by LendingTree shows that nearly half of Americans are considering making a move within the next year. Many of those looking to move are wanting to reduce living expenses. Plus, those who work permanently work remotely now have the flexibility to move closer to family or move to an area of the country where they have always wanted to live. If you are among the many who have decided to move to a new location, we have a list of the many ways social media can help you make a move to a new city.
- Research – From low crime rates, climate, affordability, to a great education system, there are many variables to consider when choosing the perfect place to live. Social media can help you research cities and neighborhoods before making your ultimate decision. Twitter is a great news source, and by using a Twitter List, you can create a personalized news feed of information for a specific location. Look for news about local crime, transportation issues, property costs, the housing market, local events, and environmental risks.
- Downsizing – When getting ready for a move, it is always a good idea to downsize your belongings. You certainly don’t want to end up making an effort to move items you no longer want or need to your new home. Selling items online on social media sites like Facebook Marketplace has gained a lot of popularity because of its effectiveness and practicality.
- Moving Supplies – Reaching out to your circle of friends on social media is a great way to score free or reduced-price moving supplies. Plus, neighbors will post about moving boxes that can be picked up for free in local online neighborhood, trade, or garage sale type social media groups.
- Decorating – One of the best things about moving is the opportunity to decorate a new place! You can find all the home decor and design inspiration your heart desires on Pinterest. Create a “dream home” pinboard and visually organize all of your ideas in one place.
- Getting Settled – Nearly every town and city has its own social media accounts, where you can learn about everything from community events and trash pickup to parks and local history. You can also read customer reviews and learn about the restaurants, gyms, and community centers available in your new neighborhood via social media. Connect with your neighbors using the social media platform NextDoor. This company utilizes address verification to help ensure that the people you are communicating with are actually your neighbors.
Speaking of social media, we would love to connect with you on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Pinterest, or LinkedIn. We believe partnering with Zippy Shell for your relocation will give you the power to customize your moving solution to fit any budget and need. Check out Zippy Shell today for assistance with moving or if you need temporary or long-term storage.