Preparing your home to sell
will take some work, but the results will make a huge difference in how buyers
perceive your home. Outside of the typical maintenance such as cleaning,
de-cluttering, touch up painting, etc., we have 10 tips that can increase your
chances of a successful home sale!
- Enlist a professional: Hiring a great real estate agent is key in selling
your home faster and for a better price than doing it on your own. They know
the area, what other homes in the neighborhood are going for, and have
connections to listing sites and other sellers.
- Consider professional cleaning: Make the minimal investment and hire a professional
cleaning company. Make sure the most common areas such as the kitchen and
bathrooms are spotless. If your carpet could use a facelift, get them
- Clean up your landscape: Your yard will be one of the first things buyers will
see when they pull up to your house. You don’t have to have the neighborhood
yard of the month – just mow the lawn, trim the bushes and pour some mulch in
the flowerbeds! Help a potential buyer imagine how nice their potential new
home might look from the outside. The curb appeal uplift is worth it!
- Organize the entryway: Another opportunity to make a great first impression
is to organize and tidy up your entryway. Add a small bench, entryway rug or
small table with fresh cut flowers to jazz it up.
- Address all odors: Smell is powerful and can make or break a home sale. Buyers aren’t
impressed if they are walking into a stinky home. We suggest using
odor-eliminating soy candles and carpet fresheners. Toss some cookies in the
oven or grind a lemon in the garbage disposal.
- Remove pets during showings: Remove pets and pet odor when showing your home.
Having evidence of your pet, including their odors can kill a home sale,
especially if a potential buyer has a pet allergy.
- Remove personal items: When arranging your home to appeal to buyers, it is
important to remove personal items from the home. This may include personal
pictures, knick-knack collections, children’s artwork, etc.
- Check drains and repair leaky faucets: Clogged drains and leaky faucets won’t leave a good
impression on prospective buyers. Be sure drains are clear of clogging debris
and faucets are leak-free.
- Clean curtains:
These dust magnets can turn off prospective buyers. Make sure curtains are
clean and fresh.
- De-clutter closets: Storage is always at the top of the list when prospective buyers are
house hunting. Remove at least half of the inventory (or everything) from
closets, drawers and cabinets.
We understand your goal is to successfully sell your home. Consider these 10 tips and you should be on your way! Be sure to check out website for other useful articles about selling and moving. Zippy Shell looks forward to being a worthwhile partner in your new adventure, whether you are moving to a new home or just need storage while staging your current home. Give us a call today at 888-947-7974 or check out our website for a free quote.
What exactly is curb appeal? It is
essentially how appealing your home looks when first viewed from the street,
like a first impression. Of course, we all know first impressions can be nearly
impossible to reverse or undo. Increasing your curb appeal can add thousands of
dollars to the value of your Piedmont Triad home and cut the time it takes to
sell. Even if you don’t plan on selling anytime soon, sprucing up your property
can provide a more positive first and lasting impression!
- The simplest way to boost curb appeal is to have a well-manicured lawn. Set the foundation for great curb appeal with healthy, evenly trimmed, weed-free grass. Next put any dead, dying, or sad-looking plants and shrubbery out of their misery and out of your yard. When bringing in new greenery, mix things up with a variety of plants that will bloom at different times during the season.
- Create an inviting walkway to the door you use as your main entrance. Pavers or stone are extremely popular options for a beautiful walkway. Flank the area with colorful landscaping and incorporate illumination to finish the look.
- Speaking of illumination, entryway lighting is crucial for setting a welcoming mood and providing security. A combination of pathway, landscaping, and entryway lighting is the perfect recipe for perfect curb appeal.
- Add a splash of style to your home with bold, vibrant colors. Go big by painting your front door or front shutters with an exciting color or you can go smaller by adding vibrant accessories like flowers, planters or door decorations. Welcome signs, welcome mats and porch furniture are also a great place to incorporate pops of color.
Inspired yet? Just think of the amazing
feeling you will get each and every time you drive up and realize that
gorgeously maintained Piedmont Triad property is all yours! If you are looking
to make a move to the Piedmont Triad area or need local storage services, give
your local Zippy Shell of the Piedmont Triad a call at 336-499-3386 or visit
to learn more!
A customer in the Piedmont Triad area needed storage in between home closings. Once they moved out of their home, they needed storage space for the period they were transitioning to their new home. Luckily, Zippy Shell was able to deliver two portable storage containers right to the customer’s home. Our moving and storage professionals loaded up the shells and brought them back to our climate-controlled storage facility.
Once the customer had moved into their new home, Zippy Shell safely delivered their storage units! The shells were unloaded in less than 2 hours and the customer was pleased we had the ability to pick them up the same day. This efficiency allowed the customer to make a smooth transition into their new home.
If you are moving to a new home, have Zippy Shell help you do it. We can help store and transport your belongings at your convenience. Get a quote here today!
You don’t want your house to smell of your pets while trying to sell your home. Use these tips to remove all unwanted pet odors from your house!
Clean off all your home’s floors
Your entire house is most likely covered in debris from your pet. Sweep and mop all your home’s hardwood floors to scoop up all the fallen pet hair and dander. Do this gently to prevent debris from getting swept up into the air. Vacuum every inch of carpet in your home, including small rugs.
Clean off furniture
If you allow your pet to go up on any of your furniture you will want to clean this off. Make a homemade mixture of equal parts water and vinegar and gently rub your leather couches with this on a cloth. For cotton couches, use a small vacuum and/or a vacuum hose to get the hard to reach spaces.
You’ll want to use a steam cleaner on any of your carpets to remove odors that have become trapped in the carpet’s fibers. Make sure the carpets are dry before allowing anyone or your pet back on them.
Wash all your linens
Put all your mattresses, pillowcases, sheets, couch cushions, etc. that could have picked up any pet odors through the washing machine. Air dry these to avoid damaging them in the dryer.
Change your home’s air filters to allow clean air to flow in and out. Open some of your windows to let the old air flow out and new, fresh air flow in.
Add a new fresh scent
Light some candles or install some air fresheners in each room to create a refreshing smell in your rooms.
Trying to sell your home? By decluttering your things your house will be much more pleasing to buyers for many reasons.
Continue reading “How decluttering will help you sell your home faster”
During a big move, you realize you really have a lot more stuff than you need. Don’t let this stuff go to waste, donate it!
Continue reading “Where to bring your move donations in Oakland County, MI”
Are you starting to wonder if it’s the right time for you to downsize your home? But where should you buy your next home? How do you know when it’s time to downsize?
These are great questions to ask. Downsizing is a big endeavor. So let’s start with the basics.
Continue reading “Is Downsizing in Highland Park, Illinois Right For You?”