Mistakes happen. Life is unpredictable, and even the best of plans can get derailed. So what do you do? You expect the best but prepare for the worst. Be prepared for moving day by reading the following tips for avoiding some of the biggest moving mistakes.
- Be selective when hiring movers. Thoroughly research your moving company by asking friends, family, and coworkers for recommendations. Check online reviews to see what other customers are saying about the company you have in mind. Get a detailed estimate in writing. You want to be sure you understand all the fees associated with the estimate and be suspicious if an estimate is unusually low or lacks specifics.
- Be prepared for rain on your moving day. When dealing with a rainy moving day, the goal should be to get everything moved to or from the truck/container and out of the weather as quickly as possible. This means parking your belongings at whatever door you can get physically closest to, with an added benefit if an awning or porch covers that door. If you are dealing with rain and not high winds, consider using pop-up canopies. You can line canopies up on the path between your container or moving vehicle and the door of your home. Protect your home by lining the entryway with old rugs and towels to catch the mud and water off everyone’s shoes. Dry cardboard or newspapers can be laid down throughout the home to keep carpets and flooring as clean as possible.
- Pack an essentials box. In a clear tote, place cleaning supplies, a basic tool kit, garbage bags, light bulbs, box cutter, scissors, power strips, and paper products like toilet paper, tissues, paper towels, paper plates, and disposable cups/utensils. Keep this box in a personal vehicle that will be making the move. This could save you a trip to the store on an already stressful day by having these necessities on hand.
- Secure your personal documents. Birth certificates, passports, wills, tax returns, financial statements, health insurance, medical records, moving documents, leases, and other personal documents should stay with you throughout your move. Place these important documents into a locked box or briefcase and transport them with you. Phones, tablets, laptops, and computers are also a treasure trove of personal data. Make sure that all electronic devices are shut off and password protected. Identity thieves target those in the process of moving, so it is a critical time to keep your guard up and protect your personal data.
- Be present. Supervise everything, especially if you are using a moving company. Your presence can deter ill intent. If you can’t be there, designate a trusted person to be your eyes and ears.
The best solution to avoiding moving day mishaps may be a DIY move with Zippy Shell. A portable storage container big enough to fit just what you need will be delivered, and you can pack it at your own pace. Check us out online today to see how we can help you!