Whether it’s a new home or a new apartment, there are a few things that should be at the top of your to-do list on move-in day. Zippy Shell has compiled a vital checklist of these essential things so that everyone in your household feels safe and comfortable from day one.
- Clean it! Even if you’re moving into a brand new space, it’s essential to make sure it’s clean (and sanitary). You’ll want to pay particular attention to the kitchen and bathrooms where things can get extra dirty. Put some real elbow grease into place to make it shine. This will be not only beneficial for your health but also for your mental state of mind.
- Change the locks. “Better safe than sorry,” as the saying goes. It’s great to be a trustworthy person, but when you place all of your belongings in a new home that someone else has access to, you might want to be cautious. Plus, who knows to whom the last owner gave a key? It’s always a good idea to be safe! You’re not only protecting your assets but your family, too! A professional locksmith can have those locks rekeyed in no time. Set this up early in the moving process. (And while you’re at it, check those smoke detectors as another safety precaution. Make sure they are in working order.)
- Figure out furniture placement! Hey, the movers are about to arrive, and you’re going to want to take advantage of that muscle while you have it. You don’t want to be caught trying to move a sleeper sofa by yourself after everyone has gone home. Masking tape is a great way to mark the exact spots for your sofa, refrigerator, grandma’s huge bookcase, and even Fido’s doghouse. (Pro tip: Have some cash on hand to tip these guys!)
- Does the Wi-Fi work? Oh man, it’s true, and we don’t know what to do without it. Hopefully, you’ve thought ahead and had your utilities switched over by move-in day, including your Internet Service Provider. Remember, lots of new gadgets, including doorbells, thermostats, and security devices, work off Wi-Fi. So, as soon as you arrive, have someone in the family plug in the modem/router and get things set up. You will have plenty of time to troubleshoot before everyone’s ready to watch a movie tonight.
- Locate and inspect utilities. This is mostly in case of an outage or emergency water leak, but it’s good to know where they are at the outset of moving in. We’ve seen folks put heavy pieces of furniture in front of electrical panels, which makes them impossible to find or extremely difficult to get to in the dark. Keep these things in mind as you arrange furniture and store large items during move-in.
- Order some food. My goodness, after a long few days of moving and unpacking, the last thing you will feel like doing is cooking. Check for some coupons to some local restaurants and order food for the crew that’s been helping you make your move. It will be an excellent way to thank everyone for their assistance, and it means you won’t have to wash any dishes.
There’s plenty that goes on during move-in, but a few essential things that should come first. We hope you find our checklist handy and if you need extra storage while you’re getting everything situated, please think of Zippy Shell’s options for portable storage.