The expenses of a move can add up quickly and wreak havoc on your wallet. Moving supplies, moving company fees, and time off from work all add up after a while. And if you are moving into a new home, you can expect down payments, closing costs, and broker fees! With a bit of research, planning, and patience, you can reduce moving costs with the following six tips.
- Eliminate & Save: A move is a great time to eliminate clutter and items you don’t need. Moving companies base their prices on things you are shipping, so lighten the load and save some cash. Toss, donate, sell or store these items. Remember, donations count as a tax deduction.
- Savvy Scheduling: If possible, avoid scheduling during the peak moving season (summer). The least expensive time of the year to schedule a move is between October and April. Discover additional savings by scheduling during the middle of the week or the middle of the month.
- Packing Supplies: Avoid hefty fees from moving companies and provide your own packing supplies. Use containers you may already have, such as suitcases and plastic bins. For padding, use everyday household items such as blankets, towels, t-shirts, and socks. Ask for free used boxes at grocery and beverage retailers.
- Portable Storage & Delivery: An option to consider instead of hiring a moving company is to get portable storage and delivery. Zippy Shell can deliver portable storage to your door, pick it up, and deliver it to your new home. And you’ll save money packing it yourself.
- DIY Move: One more cost-effective way to move is to pack and load your stuff yourself. Enlisting friends and family to help can make the process smoother and even a bit more fun. Be sure to reward their efforts with breaks, snacks, and meals. Sandwiches and pizza are great options for feeding a hungry crew on a budget.
- Tax Deduction: Save your receipts and deduct your moving expenses from your taxes if you relocate at least 50 miles for a new job. You can deduct the cost of packing, transporting, or storing your household items from next year’s tax return.
Consider these essential tips to help reduce moving costs during your next move. Saving cash getting your stuff shipped will free up a few bucks to spruce up your new home or to save for a rainy day! And if you are looking to schedule a storage container or seek moving advice, contact Zippy Shell today!