There usually comes a time in everyone’s life when it makes sense to downsize and live a simpler life. This change often comes around when your children become adults and live out independently, or you are nearing retirement. Most people are overwhelmed by the thought of downsizing and are afraid to get rid of something that will be needed, wanted, or be of significant value later on down the road. To help with the decision-making process, we have come up with a list of items you may want to hold on to for passing down to your children one day.
- Family Photographs and Videos – These items can be priceless. The key here is to save only the most significant photographs and pass them on in an organized, orderly fashion. Your children will want only the memories that capture the moment or event and the important people who were present. Duplicates, repetitive photos, and landscape scenes can generally be tossed. You want to save pictures that tell the essence of what life was like, not every moment ever photographed. Take your organization one step further by digitizing the photos.
- Family Recipes – Recipes passed down for generations are a way of keeping our loved ones alive while we spend time together in the kitchen. It is also a great way to keep your heritage alive and preserve the memories of special family events. Ask your adult children what meals they remember most from childhood, and be sure to protect those recipes in a binder or digitally.
- Sentimental Toys, Games, or Books – There is a special bond with a stuffed animal that went everywhere with you as a child. And of course, playing the same board games and reading the same books to your child that you loved in your youth is some of the best kinds of therapy. The key is to limit the items to only the most sentimental and those that have enough life left in them for your grandchildren.
- Special Jewelry – Timeless pieces, historical pieces, engagement or wedding bands, and pieces that hold emotional value to your children or monetary value should all be saved and passed down.
- Accent Furniture – Each generation has its own style, so your children may not be interested in your sofa or a bulky antique china cabinet. But small pieces of accent furniture that tell a story may be exactly what your children are looking for. You may also want to ask your children if there is a piece of furniture that they want to refinish to match their style.
- Handmade Items – A handmade quilt, knitted scarf, carved knick-knack, or a custom-built piece of furniture is an incredibly personal heirloom, reminding its owner of all the hard work put into the piece.
Zippy Shell is the perfect solution for those looking to downsize. Our portable storage containers eliminate the obstacles standing between you and downsizing your life. We offer simple storage solutions, and we can safely store your belongings as long as you need. When the time is right, we will deliver your belongings to your new home or your children’s home!