If you have moved before, you know that moving day can be chaotic. This is why it is very important to make sure your essentials are covered. It can be easy to forget a few small things that happen to make a big difference on moving day and in the days immediately following. Check this list for items you want to be sure you can put your finger on when moving day comes.
• Pack a “moving day” overnight bag for each member of the family just like you would pack when going on a trip. Include a pair of pajamas, a change of clothes, plus your personal toiletry items like toothpaste, a toothbrush, and your shower essentials (including a towel). For children, pack one or two of their very favorite belongings in their overnight bag. Keeping these items close by can provide assurance throughout the move and allow access as soon as you arrive at your new home.
• Come prepared with essential cleaning supplies. Before you even think about unpacking, you need to bust into cleaning mode. Now is the time to clean cabinet shelves, ceiling fans, light fixtures, and more -get it done while you have an empty space. You can also expect dirt and dust to be tracked into your home along with the movers and your boxes.
• Your moving day essentials kit should contain clean bedding and pillows. The first item of business in your new home should be setting up and making up the beds. You don’t want to get to the end of a long, tiring moving day and realize your bed is not ready for you to crash in!
• A basic toolkit with a hammer, drill, level, screwdrivers, tape measure, and pliers will also come in handy on moving day. Whether you need to assemble a bed frame or measure out where to fit the furniture, this will come in handy.
• Paper products like toilet paper, tissues, paper towels, paper plates, and disposable cups/utensils are a must. It is incredibly easy for these items to be forgotten during a move. Save yourself a trip to the store on an already stressful day by having these necessities on hand.
• Have your cell phone ready and fully charged on moving day and then keep your charger handy for the rest of your busy day.
• Keep your energy up by packing snacks and plenty of water for everyone involved with your moving day festivities.
• Extra supplies you will want to have in your essentials kit include garbage bags, light bulbs, box cutters, scissors, power strips, and a shower curtain/rod if your new place does not have a shower door.
We hope these suggestions will help your moving day flow smoothly. Zippy Shell is here to take the stress out of your move allowing you to focus on your family during this exciting time.