The kitchen always has and always will be the “heart” of the home. This is the place where family and friends gather, and it is usually the first room to get remodeled when looking to increase the value of your home before selling or just wanting to modernize the home. As an added bonus, kitchen updates boast the highest return on investment of the entire house. If you are planning a kitchen renovation, our best piece of advice is to be smart about the features you upgrade. You will get the biggest bang for your buck by making replacements that play up the best features of your kitchen. Here are a few design tips to take into consideration:
- Paying for a bit of expert advice at the start of a project can take the stress out of the process and save you money in the long run. Even if you already have a good idea of what you want, a professional kitchen designer can help fine-tune your plan and help you avoid costly mistakes.
- When considering the layout, moving around easily in your kitchen is a top priority. Create a classic work triangle with short paths between your refrigerator, stovetop, and sink. Position traffic paths to go around this work triangle, not through it. Provide adequate aisle space between counters and be aware of conflicting door swings from appliances, cabinets, or the pantry.
- If you are changing the layout, let’s not forget to talk about all the benefits of a large kitchen island. An island can not only provide additional counter space for prep work, it can also serve as a buffet. If you include seating at your island, it will make a great place to chat with your family or visitors while you are preparing a meal.
- Add in features that will simplify your daily routine – a self-cleaning oven, at least 36 inches of uninterrupted counter space for prep work, a microwave the kids can easily reach, an easy-to-clean cooktop, sturdy cabinetry with ample space for household staples, and cubbies fitted with bins to corral the clutter.
- Of course, there is no such thing as too much storage in the kitchen. Any little nook and cranny that you can add or make better use of your kitchen storage space is going to put a smile on your face.
- One of the most important features to consider in any renovation is the lighting. Bright and airy is the look you are trying to achieve in the kitchen and a well-planned lighting scheme is all it takes. You want to have adequate lighting to be able to complete all your kitchen tasks and show off those new countertops!
If you need space to store items during your kitchen renovation, give Zippy Shell a call! Our storage containers are a popular option during remodeling because they provide you with the ability to completely clear items out of your home while also maintaining the flexibility of having those items on hand when you need them. You can feel confident knowing that your furniture, appliances, and personal belongings are safe and within easy reach during the chaos of remodeling. Learn more about our storage solutions at www.zippyshell.com!