Americans Are Always On the Move
Moving from one home to another is as much a part of the American experience as baseball games and apple pie. Whether you’re moving across the state or across the country for a new job, accommodating your growing family with a bigger house or finally moving into the dream house you’ve always wanted, Zippy Shell can help ease the stress of self moving.
Checklist for Moving Household Items
The process of relocating your home can be daunting but a few helpful guidelines can help make a stressful situation run smoothly.
First and foremost is the packing process. What makes a house your home are the items and memories you fill it with, so when it comes time to pack them up and move them, you want to make sure it is done with the most care possible.
- Books can get heavy so try packing them in small boxes, the same goes for CD’s and DVD’s.
- Small appliances like coffee makers, blenders or clock radios fit best into medium boxes as does sealed non-perishable food and clothing. Just make sure to pack similar items together, don’t put a toaster and winter sweaters in the same box!
- Despite their massive size, large boxes are best for light or bulky items like pillows, comforters and stuffed animals.
- When packing delicate or fragile items like china, glassware, figurines or sculptures, use cardboard dividers and take care to wrap each one in bubble wrap or newspaper so they don’t get chipped or cracked in the move. Then label each box, ‘This End Up’ and ‘Fragile’ so it is clear to everyone to handle those boxes with care.
- Special upright boxes can be used for lamps or statues or any other tall item.
- Not every item in your home is meant to be folded up and boxed, a wardrobe box or a portable closet allows you to keep necessary clothes on hangers so they stay clean and wrinkle free.
- Special boxes and bags are also made for transporting items like mirrors and pictures as well as mattress’ and box springs to ensure they don’t rip, get dirty or bend.
Managing Your Residential Move
A few things to keep in mind in advance of your move…
- Establish your moving dates.
- Have a garage sale or plan to donate items you won’t be taking with you.
- Order a second portable container to store keepsakes, furniture or other items you may not need in your new space.
- Eat or dispose of all food in the refrigerator and freezer.
- Change your address with the post office, credit cards and magazine subscriptions.
- Cancel all delivery services like newspapers.
- Arrange to have your utilities shut off the day after you move out.
- Arrange to have you utilities turned on the day before you move in.
- Have children and Fido stay with a sitter on moving day.
- Empty the gas tanks of lawnmowers or any other power tools that will be moved.
- Compose an inventory list of items in your home to be moved and check each one off as it is packed and loaded.
Finding the Right Residential Moving Services
The most important part of moving from one residence to another is trust, knowing for certain that your belongings have been handled with the proper care and consideration. Zippy Shell is ideal for residential moving because we will deliver a mobile self storage container that can fit the contents of your home, it gets packed up and secured, and we move it for you. It’s that convenient.
Shells can double as a storage container, should you need to delay your move or keep some of your belongings in storage. Zippy Shells are made of steel and well ventilated to prevent mold or mildew.
If you are also relocating your business, we can help you with your commercial moving needs as well. Contact Zippy Shell or fill out the quote form to schedule a residential moving or storage container delivery today!